27 May 2008

Why such a fear?

I'm SO over my job that it's not even funny. I really enjoy the people that I work with and it's fun having people around all day -- totally different than the other office where it was me and one other person in a basement. I know that I'm very under-utilized and VERY underpaid, and I kinda just don't like my boss. I like one of the 3 partners, but the other 2 are just... blech... in their own regards. The company is disorganized. Sure, we now have an office manager, and I hope to see things change because of it, but I've already figured out that old habits are hard to break with these folks. I've been with the same people for 3 years -- do you know anyone will do anything? I think it would be nice if I got flowers or something, a card, or at least a "hey, we appreciate you sticking this out!"
I'm over my job, but I can't seem to get myself motivated to find a new job. I've looked, but I haven't sent my resume anywhere or responded to any ads. I have this fear of doing something new, I think. Some part of me says that I shouldn't, that the job I'm in isn't getting me anywhere and I should be doing something that I want to do. I've always wanted to make a difference, and being a legal assistant isn't doing that.
I'm thinking about grad school for student affairs or something like it. First step for that would be the GRE, which if I get a new job, I could spend the next year studying for and taking the GRE, then getting into grad school; in that year I could also find a job working for a school. That's one plan. A second plan is music therapy. It's an idea I'd tossed around years ago, but I did research recently and found out it's a bachelor program... cool, except I already have one AND any musical skill I had is probably out the window at this point. I could spend the next year getting totally badass on an instrument, but let's be real. I think I have this other fear of school. I don't know how motivated I am. I mean, yes, I am motivated because I know it's a step towards a job I might actually dig, but school work doesn't sound appealing to me. It never really has.
I need to kick own ass and get myself in gear. First step needs to be getting my resume out the door to some of these jobs. (Ooh, but before that is getting someone to help me with it. I have the people, I just - again - can't muster the motivation.) Then will come deciding what to do next. Sometimes having to be a grown up and make life-changing decisions can suck.

Other news: This weekend was fun! Had some good moments with the bf, and even spent time with his mom (just the 2 of us). She pulled out a photo album and showed me a some pics of P-unit when he was little. <3 I think I would've liked him as a kid. I told him, too, that I'm afraid of how it's goign to be once he moves if we don't talk regularly as it is now. He didn't say anything, but I think he got what I meant. There were a couple of other things that happened that made me smile, both inside and out. Certain little romantic sort of things that reminded me of how things were one we were "new".

No comments: